BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Anyone else not get sound on RetroPie? I've used Pico-8 on an RPi3 B+, and now the RPi 4. Sound works fine in any other application, but I never get any in Pico8. I'm hoping somebody has a suggestion.

P#79970 2020-07-26 23:36

Cart #salagander-1 | 2020-07-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Salagander

Controls: arrow keys to move and jump, Z to restart a level

Salamanders have a goal: to reach the great pie in the sky. They also have a problem: they’re not that bright and each of them will repeat what the salamander before them did. No matter what.

You control the first salamander who decided to get to the pie. Can you make them behave?

Extra thoughts on the design of the game at this Twitter thread!

Edit: updated new version with jump bound to X as well for controllers. Also you can change your salamander's color by pressing it in the very first level!

P#79955 2020-07-26 16:54 ( Edited 2020-07-28 09:03)

Hello everyone,

I'm second year Japanese university student exploring game design.
This is my first time to make game.
My teacher introduced us to Mboffin's tutorial:
https://mboffin.itch.io/pico-8-top-down-adventure-game-tutorial
This is my remix.

I would appreciate any constructive comments.

I would like to make more games.

thank you very mach

初めて作ったゲームであり、P8のプログラムもよくわかっていなかったためにてこずりました。
remixが完成できてよかったです。今度はまた違ったゲームも作っていきたいです。

ccadventureremixtutorial

Cart #icecrusherm-0 | 2020-07-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#79953 2020-07-26 16:27

Cart #drift_king_brink_edition_v_1-2 | 2020-07-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Took part in Kiwijam last week and had a blast making a drifting game.

I spent the week polishing it a little and would love some more feedback on it.

There are a few things I still want to fix up, mainly the music and sound effects.

Thanks for checking this out :D

P#79942 2020-07-26 06:33 ( Edited 2020-07-26 06:36)

After searching and testing for a solid hour, I still can't seem to figure this out. If anyone can clarify or point me to the correct docs, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

print(1) --1
print('hi',10,10) --hi ...at position (10,10)
print(1,10,10) --0x0001.0000 ...at position (0,0) <-- why?

Is that third scenario supposed to print in hex?

On the Wiki's print() page, this supposedly works as expected:

-- print the player x position just inside the upper left corner, in red
print(player.x,2,2,8)

So is this a bug, or am I missing something?

P#79934 2020-07-26 02:11 ( Edited 2020-07-26 02:13)

Cart #meatris-1 | 2020-07-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

An attempt to cross Tetris and Super Meat Boy. Or something like that.

You can control the Tetris with arrow keys, and the Meat Boy with ESDF. You can challenge your multitasking skills, or try playing with another person, either cooperatively or competitevely, either might be fun.

Gravity increases linearly as you clear lines in this version.

There's no proper fail state yet, if Meat Boy dies, he disappears, if the well fills, it keeps spawning new pieces in crazy ways.

P#79932 2020-07-26 01:15 ( Edited 2020-07-26 02:02)

Cart #startrax_02-6 | 2020-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

28.07.2020: Added a title screen with a WIP version of the original main theme

26.07.2020: Added background images and a nice little color lookup shadow :D
Also, added one of the lose conditions (falling off-track) and fading out/in on entry

I'm uploading the current (5-year-old) version of Startrax, an itty bitty Skyroads clone, to make it available for reference (and to make me get over my laziness and properly update it!)
Here's a tweet from when I started making this game: tweet

Currently there's no win conditions, and just one single (debug) track - working on some more stuff to come! '^^

Controls:

• Left/Right: move ship across the track
  • Up/Down: accelerate/decelerate ship
  • Z: jump!

I'm using a few bits of code and tools from other posts here in the BBS, like:

P#79923 2020-07-25 16:44 ( Edited 2020-07-29 20:48)

Cart #packbat_taptempo-1 | 2020-08-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This one is super basic and was originally just going to be a utility within a bigger project, but it turned out so useful by itself that I wanted to share it. I'm sure not everyone has this problem, but I've found that changing the tempo after the SFX is written usually doesn't feel right - the piece ends up being built to make sense at the tempo it was created at.

To use the tap tempo tool, you decide what kind of rhythm you want to use, pick beats to tap on, figure out how many SFX lines between each beat you're tapping on, set that number appropriately, and tap it out.

(A couple examples: if I'm tapping quarter notes that I'll later subdivide into sixteenth notes, I leave it on 4 and tap every quarter note; if I'm planning to use a tresillo rhythm, 3+3+2, I set it to eight lines, tap the first beat of each group on the [x] button, and tap the other beats on the table.)

Then, when you're done tapping, you can hit [o] (z or c on keyboard, usually) to stop, reboot PICO-8, and punch in the calculated SPD to start composing with it.

If the tempo is jumping around weirdly while you're tapping, there might be some taps counting as multiple (I think the electrical engineering term is "bouncing"); increasing the "ignore gaps under" threshold will probably help stabilize it. (2 worked fine for me with PICO-8 standalone, but I found myself turning it up to 5 when I was testing it on the web just now.)

Hope it works for folks!

Edit: Figured out that I introduced a bug right before uploading - should work better now.

P#79921 2020-07-25 15:06 ( Edited 2020-08-05 15:43)

Hello

I would love some closure on this issue, as i have asked a few times and sent an email to [email protected] with no reply. I have seen a post from a few years ago with this same issue, and it was resolved by @zep changing it himself, which is what i would like to happen here, or for username changing to be implemented into the lexaloffle website.

Thanks

P#79919 2020-07-25 14:33 ( Edited 2020-07-26 07:20)

heya!

during lockdown i've been on and off making a little game with the brilliant music maker alice boyd, and i'd like to share the latest build of it/get feedback to make it even better.

Cart #obsta8-0 | 2020-07-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

if you could fill in this form about how you found the game i will love you forever

https://forms.gle/bBqQpix4aLPpnu6FA

P#79914 2020-07-25 11:04 ( Edited 2020-07-25 11:23)

Cart #gamejamdor2-0 | 2020-07-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

2nd annual GamejamDOR otherwise known at GamejamDOR2. Mostly a WIP, mostly done. Needs polish and probably a bunch of other stuff. But it works and I don't think crashes :D

P#79912 2020-07-25 10:07

Cart #wogoyozuga-0 | 2020-07-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#79911 2020-07-25 09:13

Cart #yomgokwi-0 | 2020-07-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with the lilly pad. I want to make it so that when the player is on the lilly pad, the game doesn't end. I've had a go, but I just made it so that all of the water is not longer a lose tile. I've considered making the lilly pad tile replace the next tile it moves to, but that seems like a lot of effort. Do I need to make individual tiles for each river tile?

Thanks,
Moon

P#79895 2020-07-25 04:50 ( Edited 2020-07-25 07:06)

Cart #obstamusic2-1 | 2020-07-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#79885 2020-07-25 00:03 ( Edited 2020-07-25 00:03)

Cart #sparkmod-0 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#79884 2020-07-24 22:52

Cart #leftturn-0 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Left Turn is a game, a true story, a glimpse of a better reality.

My entry for the Post-Police Design Challenge.
https://itch.io/jam/post-police-design-challenge

P#79879 2020-07-24 22:08

Cart #picocraft_alpha-0 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls:
left and right arrows: move
up and down arrows: scroll through inventory
x: peck or place block
z: (when on the ground) start flying; (when in the air) descend

This is a pet project I want to eventually clean up and take further. The limited control input restricted a lot of things for now and overall it is very limited right now. Nonetheless, I hope some of y'all get some fun out of it!

P#79877 2020-07-24 22:01

Welcome to the world of (circles, literally!)

By COD3(evman2k)

This is a game like agar.io and diep.io except you can't clone yourself!

How to play

OKAY, for anyone who doesn't know how to play diep.io or agar.io. It's simple like other .io's!
You play as a black hole(CIRCLE) that eats other SMALLER circles than you. Also, use the arrow keys to move.

How to use the menu

Arrow keys left and right to switch game modes. To start your game, just press the key enter(return) (Don't try to click a piece of text like "ARENA.")

More info

There are five teams: red, blue, FFA, Neutral(Arena closers are on this team), and ARENA TYPES(The arena and The border is on this team.)

When naming your circle, you use the keyboard to type your name. Even curse words (I don't care what name you input.)

The game

There are two versions of this game: The dev version and the regular version (this is the regular version).
Will you get up to 50 points?

Cart #blackholeio-1 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

For anyone who uses the dev version

in-game controls

shift-e to add 1 point
shift-q to subtract 1 point
shift-p to shrink every circle to 0 points.
shift-a to call your fellow arena closers to kill everyone! (If you survive, the arena will kill you itself!)

Global Controls

shift-x to switch to the neutral team

shift-r to switch to the red team
shift-b to switch to the blue team
shift-f to switch to team FFA

Menu Controls

shift-z to become an Arena Closer

Feedback

Please leave any feedback on how I can make the game better, and thank you for playing this game! :) - COD3

DEV VERSION CART WITH BETA AI

Link: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=39010

P#79873 2020-07-24 21:23 ( Edited 2020-07-29 23:50)

Cart #stealthscape-0 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

STLTHSCPE (Stealthscape Demake)

A fast-paced momentum-based speed game based on my Early Access title "Stealthscape"

Description

This is a Demake of my game Stealthscape. The game's feel and controls are near 1:1 with the original game and I had a blast making it. This is my first ever PICO-8 game after owning PICO-8 for a long time but not doing much with it, so I hope you enjoy <3

Controls

Move: Up, Down, Left, Right / D-Pad
Reset: X / ❎
Pause: Enter / Start

Credits

Design, programming, art & audio by @CarsonK

Special thanks to @LightBWK for their PICO-8 Cheat Sheet & @Gruber for their Music Tutorials <3

P#79863 2020-07-24 18:04

I'm porting the classic Atari 2600 game Adventure from one tightly-limited platform to another. The goal is to be as close to the original as possible for now. I have some ideas for more rooms and monsters and whatnot, but that will have to wait.

Cart #poyradufa-0 | 2020-07-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I know there are other ports out there, but I'm not trying to compete with anyone, I'm just using this activity to teach myself Lua while stuck at home.

I've been able to take full advantage of the original game's assembly source code, and slides from a talk by the author.

This has been pretty fun. The limitations of the Pico-8 platform have been challenging. You might notice that some of the mazes are different, this is due to the fact that the Atari 2600 had more horizontal "tiles" than the Pico-8 (20 vs 16). I adapted what I could to keep the feel of the original, even using each room's horizontal mirroring logic from the original.

Current status is a playable game with all the items, but no monsters yet - dragons and bat have yet to be implemented.

How to play:

In the first screen, use the arrow keys to move the "player" to one of the numbers, selecting your level.

In the game, you must find the Chalise and bring it inside the Yellow Castle. Arrow keys move your player. Bump into objects to pick them up, and use the Z key to drop them.

Todo:

[ ] Levels (1=basic, 2=advanced, 3=randomized)
[ ] Dragons
[ ] Bat
[ ] Better menu screen
[ ] In-game menu for various difficulty options (dragon speed, dragons fear sword, etc.)

Cheers,
Jeremy

P#79857 2020-07-24 14:55 ( Edited 2020-07-24 15:08)
View Older Posts